I thought I would document some of the things I find using your product for others, so we could collaborate on such things and possibly find a fix.
Firstly I would point out that what your program thinks is right or excellent English; Word disagrees with at times. While I do not believe that one should totally rely on artificial intelligence, I do feel that examining what your program and word think is incorrect is probably worth looking into.
When using your product to examine a manuscript, often toward the end of the document, Word slows to a crawl and at times dies causing one to lose their work.
I have learned that as soon as the program starts to act wonky, save your work and reboot. I can only assume that there is a memory leak, either in Word or Grammarly.
The fact that you disable word’s native autosave when Grammarly is active is a “just a wow, how damn stupid is that?” moment. I am sure that your programmers needed to do that for some reason but guys, rework your program, that is just insane!
With the add-on running, Word becomes less stable. Disabling autosave starts to set one up for the perfect storm.”
Having lost a manuscript like this, I have workarounds which I will share now.
“Never write with Grammarly running, period, end of story.”
Save your work and then turn Grammarly on but, be careful not to enable too many of the “filters” at one time. If it is a small document, you should have no worries. Larger documents, I would limit what you ask of your computer via Grammarly. One filter at a time perhaps.
When editing a manuscript as I have laid out, I often find “crap” inserted into my document at random. It might consist of letters or numbers as in the example here.
If you turn off “show hidden” the crap goes away but guess what, it is still there and will show up when you upload your manuscript to your favorite e-publishing site.
This novel which I was just editing I took the time to document some of the things I found. Not always but sometimes Grammarly will identify them as spelling errors as there is an extra letter or numbers. Not all the time but again sometimes you can tell Grammarly to correct it by clicking on the correction and it will. The problem is that Grammarly nor Word’s spell check will reliably flag this nonsense, so it is incumbent upon the author to go back and look at every sentence to make sure that there is no hidden crap.
Editing with Grammarly will work fine for a while. If you should find an awkward sentence and rewrite without disabling Grammarly, soon, you will notice that clicking on the corrections to the right will not work.
“That!” That is your cue to disable Grammarly and save your bloody work as the application is at the precipice of dying a horrible death causing you to lose your mind, not to mention your manuscript!
For $130 or so US dollars a year, I expect and demand better!
This is word 2013 Professional edition if there is such a thing, and this computer is no slouch either.
If you other writers out there are using Grammarly I would be interested in knowing your experiences.
In spite of my obvious frustrations with the product, I will say that I just renewed my subscription with them. Notwithstanding the issues, the program is better than word’s native spellcheck. I want them to succeed as it makes me a better writer.
Paying attention to what the program flags, I find that many of my mistakes are not really mistakes at all. They are what a computer that thinks in 1’s and 0’s tries to make of English, which is not math. The program is only as good as its algorithms.
The ubiquitous (comma) is my largest flagged error. Sometimes it is correct, and sometimes it is not.
Saga of the Starduster was recently edited and released once again both on Smashwords and Amazon.
If you have already read it and want an updated version, it is ready for you as REV 3.1.
I made a few minor changes to some awkward sentences and removed some hidden numbers that ended up in the released version.